Northern Wire LLC
Merrill, Wisconsin - www.northernwire.com
Northern Wire is a custom wire form manufacturing company supplying customers like John Deere, MTD, and Briggs & Stratton.
Results presented by Matt Beilke (General Manager); Rich Austin (Process Engineering Manager); Prakash Venkitachalam (Lean Engineer) at the QRM 2009 Conference.
After joining the Center in 2008, Northern Wire initiated a project to analyze its operation and determine the Manufacturing Critical-path Time (MCT). Based on the results, the company reconfigured cells and changed shop floor layouts.
Goal of project:
- 50% reduction in manufacturing lead times for the top 12 high-demand part families
- 50% reduction of inventory due to reduced lead times
Small Diameter Cell initial results:
- Reduced MCT by 40% (12 weeks after implementation)
- Reduced raw material inventory by 60%
- Increased floor space
- Improved flow inside cell
- Reduced material handling of part numbers