Milwaukee, Wisconsin – http://mining.komatsu/
Joy Global is a leader in manufacturing and service of large excavating and drilling machines for the mining industry.
Results presented by Bob Mueller and Paul Diedrick at the QRM 2009 Conference.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
- 2000 – Joined QRM Center
- 2003 – Implemented first cell “LRP”
- 2004 – Q-ROC
- 2006 – Implemented seven QRM cells at one time
- 2007 – Implement POLCA
- 2008 – Add four more QRM cells
- 2009 – Q-ROC for export shipping
After getting familiar with QRM and creating cells, P&H decided to implement POLCA to control the complex flow between cells and, in some instances, stand-alone machines. The original implementation consisted of 44 loops and 805 cards, making it the largest POLCA implementation in the world. It currenently covers 13 cells and four non-cell areas.
- Output of critical gearing components went up 253%
- QRM numbers increased 204%
- Inventory Turns increased 13%
- Number of POLCA cards in circulation down 23%
- WIP down $2-3M
Feedback from the Front Line Folks
“The guys on the floor love the process. They are the ones that are really singing the praises of POLCA.”
“Hours of manager time has been eliminated.”
“We are not buried in parts all the time.”
“Things are going great, we don’t have as much inventory around […] (yet) we also have fewer late deliveries.”